Why DDSs/DMDs Add Orofacial Myology to Their Practices
Orofacial Myology is an addition that is advantageous to the modern dental practice. There is the obvious financial benefit of attracting more clients and increasing current income. It also allows you to provide patients with comprehensive individualized treatment that is available in only a few select dental offices. Potential referral sources abound in the dental, speech, and medical professions. They are seeking those with training in this highly specialized area of orofacial myofunctional treatment with whom to collaborate and to whom to refer.
Common questions often arise such as the following:
Q: What is the difference between “tongue thrust” and orofacial myology?
A: Tongue thrust refers to one of many symptoms of an orofacial myology disorder. We used to think that the thrusting of the tongue during the actual swallow was responsible for the open bite or malocclusion. We now know that the resting postures of the tongue, lips, and mandible are the critical criteria to address.
Q: Who is eligible to become a Qualified Orofacial Myologist?
A: Speech pathologists, dental hygienists, dentists and orthodontists. Very rarely do any of these automatically receive training about orofacial myology in their undergraduate or graduate education. In fact, it is quite rare to find a university that teaches this specialty area. Professionals must seek this specialized training from organizations such as Neo-Health Services, that provide all of the necessary components to successfully begin assessing and treating patients. Dentists often select the QOM-D option which is more appropriate for those who are directing the program but not involved in the actual treatment. They are often overseeing RDHs whom they have sent for the full training process.
“I loved how functional this program and information is. I am able to use it immediately in my practice.”
“This was life-changing! The information was not only outstanding, but the presenters were also a huge part of making this course so enjoyable and exciting! I loved every minute!”
“This course truly is “the missing link”. As a pediatric dentist I can use and apply the knowledge I learned from this course to better serve my patients and to truly make a difference in their lives. Dentistry isn’t just about the “teeth”. There is a person attached to those teeth and now I can be more comprehensive in my approach to taking care of my patients.”
“Wonderful course, even though it was remote, presenters had my attention and the day flew by!”
“I took the information back to Bulgaria to my dental office and shared it with my partner. Thank you very much for all you have taught me.” Lidyia
“The instructors’ knowledge was ABOVE my expectation. I gained so much knowledge and am SO glad I came.”
“Hi Sandra! Thank you! My therapist had a great time at your training course. She is excited to hit the ground running. I have another person who may be coming on board soon You are really a gem in the field, and I will keep sending my people to you!!
“The use of resources was awesome!”
“This course is by far one of the best courses I have ever done. For such heavy content, it was provided in a light and highly practical manner which allows me to start tackling these goals clinically, literally as soon as I walk out the door!”
“This was a fantastic three-day course with intense content but great guidance that leaves attendees with the confidence and inspiration to go out and change some lives! Also helps you learn how to “swallow right” too!”
“Thank you for introducing me to your orofacial myology methods. I am continuing to learn more and share with my orthodontist colleagues in China. I have encountered more sophisticated patients and tried to help them. It is because I learned how to do the evaluation and exercises in your wonderful course. I am very interested in the myo field and will devote my rest life to learn. Much happiness sent to you.” Jane
“This was dynamic and thorough. No one wanted to leave at the end of each day!”
“I loved the different nuances of each instructor. Specifically: Sandra’s emphasis on psychology throughout the process Zohara’s intimate knowledge of the material and ability to break down difficult concepts into digestible pieces. Jamesa, Becky and Karen were also an amazing wealth of knowledge. Very happy!”
“Very well organized materials, everything that’s needed was included, great support during and after the class. Definitely feel like Neo cares about all the participants/Grads!”
“All instructors did an amazing job of teaching the material and treatment processes. There was no doubt that we were learning from the BEST!”
“Thank you for the knowledge and valuable skills you have given us. Your course is a very good investment for me. My cost is nothing compared to the new world you opened to my orthodontic practice. The seeds you planted on me will surely blossom in Africa. I have been asked to teach the speech therapists at their college.
May you be blessed” Sabi B, Benin, Orthodontist, West Africa
“Instructors got to everything during the weekend and were able to explain the material with confidence, care and some humor as well.”
“The team did a terrific job of putting the course together on Zoom. There were virtually no computer glitches, the sound and visuals were very good. The interaction between presenters and participants were flawless. The breakout sessions were very good as well.”
“It was very easy to stay engaged and interested in spite of the long days; AMAZING!”
“I liked the breakout sessions to get to know other colleagues and the time for the class was utilized very well. I appreciate being able to take the class online so I can get started sooner. The innovation of NEO HEALTH is apparent and appreciated.”
“I was appreciative of the online format and interactive ability of the instructors and the breakout rooms. I appreciated the pace and comprehensive curriculum.”
“Loved the interaction b/w instructors and students… felt very personable even though it was through Zoom.”
“This training is perfect! I can begin using it in my practice tomorrow!! “
“I would have not imagined how well a virtual conference could go. I feel it was free of the distractors in live conferences such as whispering attendees, excessive non topic talking, and it was good just being in the comfort of my home.”
“I couldn’t have asked for this to be any better!!”
“They were the most encouraging instructors I have ever seen.”
“I liked everything – this class was worth every single cent!”
Whoo hoo!!! Awesome! I have to say I think this test is much more practical and relevant than the COM test.
I appreciated reviewing the Myo Manual in depth during my exam. Thank you for everything Sandra and Becky ❤️.
This gave me the opportunity to review the Myo Manual after class and I found some things I had previously missed!
This exam was just what I needed to feel confident. Thank you!
The QOM process is applicable and doable…a great way to report, analyze and reflect on the skills we have learned while using the Myo Manual! Yippie!!!
RECENT COURSE PARTICIPANT COMMENTS
– Answered questions throughout the course. Provided lots of attention to all students and gave positive feedback. Sandra spent her entire lunch on the third day to answer personal questions and assess a student’s child via zoom. They supported us during our breakout sessions with our partners. It was very valuable. All three instructors were so engaged and attentive to us.
– The course was incredible. I have learned so much. Gained so much understanding of what Orofacial Myology is, how to assess and treat patients with orofacial Myofunctional disorders. I felt so supported in the process of this intense training. The atmosphere was so pleasant. Presenters are so knowledgeable.
– I am so grateful for having taken this course. I feel ready to help my clients on a new level.
– Very thorough material with color photographs. The step-by-step instructions for myo assessment and Videos for treatment Exercises will be helpful for me following the course.
– I’m so excited with all of the new information I learned over the past three days and can’t wait to apply it in my practice to help myo patients.
– Good instruction, material was concise and well organized. Impressed with Zohara’s technology skills! Everyone was timely with designated breaks and lunch. Pleased we had three great instructors!
– Instructors followed the presentation in a clear sequential order. Answered questions. Were supportive in clarifying information when I didn’t understand some of the information.
– I gained so much knowledge and clear understanding of Orofacial Myology. I understand assessment and treatment and the rational for treating OMD.
– Love the exercise tools and content in the treatment manual. Appreciate the color photographs, binding, and clear plastic folder to protect my material.
– All presenters were amazing, knowledgeable. Materials were clear, easy to follow.